[NTLK] Very ambitious idea for 2011 Newton mods

Tony Kan tony.kan at clear.net.nz
Mon Nov 21 01:35:08 EST 2011

Howdy

  1.. e-Ink has slow refresh rates.  Might make HWR painful.
  2.. I like the AA battery trays because its easy to use new cells without
having to open up battery packs.
  3.. The slots have ensured that the Newton has withstood the test of time.
If we lose the slots we need to find other ones; but the low level
knowledge/support for new drivers might be inadequate to make this feasible.
Cheers

Tony Kan

Christchurch
New Zealand

[snip]
1- Replace the LCD screen with an e-Ink screen.  This would make the screen
much, much more readable & greatly improve the usability of the device.  Do
e-Ink screens use similar electronic inputs to LCD's?  Would this be
possible to do?

2- Replace the bulky & heavy battery pack/4AA's by a slim, light modern
battery.

[snip]
eliminate the PC card
slots.