[NTLK] Smart Pens (was: Big question)

R A Parker RAParker at Newted.ORG
Mon Nov 21 10:28:58 EST 2011

A recent addition to my toolbox is the <http://livescribe.com> Pulse Smart Pen. I picked up a second pen (for my employer) just last week, and the special SmartPen Pro Pack is still available online for $99.

You really have to see one in operation to understand how wonderful this technology is. It essentially combines a voice recorder with a scanner. Although it is still a pen and paper based system, it digitizes everything into electronic form that you can move around or access from the cloud.

Your handwritten notes and sketches are digitized in to a PDF using a camera in the end of the pen. The audio of the meeting magically associated with the hand-written text. At any moment, you can play back the audio by simply tapping on your notes, either on original note paper or on the PDF on your screen.

Applications are also available for the pen which enhances functionality. One application, which comes the Smartpen Pro Pack, is for handwriting recognition. I'll let all you NewtonTalkers know the results, later. So far this technology is very impressive.

Applications typically run about $2 and up, some are even free. I briefly looked around for math stuff and there appears to be quite a bit if you Google it. The Smart Pen appears to be very popular in the educational field.

--
Dictated using Dragon and an iNewt Touch 4.0
--
  |\ |   @ TahoeSunsets.COM