[NTLK] Installing new fonts?

Warren Ockrassa wockrassa at gmail.com
Wed Nov 30 10:25:48 EST 2011

On Wed, Nov 30, 2011 at 7:17 AM, Forrest Buffenmyer
<newtonphoenix at mindspring.com> wrote:

> I, too, prefer Verdana. Interesting though, your comment on Microsoft Foundry creating it.

TTBOMK they were the ones responsible for it, as well as Georgia and
Trebuchet. (And Tahoma.)

> When I was building the NewtonPhoenix website on my Mac, I (of course) wanted to use Verdana...but found that in Windows (XP, particularly) it did not render well. Instead I chose its close cousin Tahoma, which did show up the same in both platforms.

Tahoma works too. I wonder if the Verdana you were using then was an
older, less nuanced version. Maybe they updated it since.

On the other hand, I also recall there being pretty significant
font-rendering problems with older IE versions as well - so maybe that
was what you were seeing. A fault in the browser, rather than the
typeface.

What made me think of Verdana is the success I'd had using it on my
REB 1100. I think that machine also has a fixed-width and a serif
typeface option. The former is useless in essentially any context, and
the latter doesn't render that well on a 1-bit LCD.

--
-- Warren Ockrassa | nightwares.com