[NTLK] NewTNG 3.0

Lord Groundhog lordgroundhog at gmail.com
Wed Nov 30 12:22:05 EST 2011

~~~ On 2011/11/30 15:37, Matthias Melcher at mm at matthiasm.com wrote ~~~

>> The core of Newton, though, was and still is its HWR. That's the true
>> value of the platform, and the part really worth keeping more than
>> anything else. ...
>
> Yes, exactly. Plus the Soup interface, the GUI interface, the scheduler, etc.
> etc. .

This.  I could put up with losing a lot of things from my Newts, but I
absolutely need those uniquely "Newtish" things.

Forgive my ignorance of all this, but I can't help thinking that the hardest
thing to reproduce with patent infringement suits will be the Newton's HWR.
And to me it seems that Apple/Jobs managed to put that out of our reach
pretty much permanently.  OTOH, if Apple can let Windows7 use it, why not
us?  Plainly I don't know something essential about this.

One other thing:  most of us have the experience of discovering 3rd party
software that completes for us the amazing experience provided by the
Newton.   For me that includes Five Speed Software's Dashboard, and a load
of apps from from SilverWARE.  You all have your favourites.  At what point
does that consideration come into this process?

Hmmm, "Newtish".  I think I should put that on my landing card next time I'm
passing through an airport and have to write down my nationality.  Then
someone can say to me, borrowing a line from "Yellow Submarine",
"Newtish?  But you don't look Newtish..."

On second thought, maybe not.  Immigration officers have even less of a
sense of humour now than they did before.

Shalom.
Christian

            -- ref.:  Arthur C. Clarke

http://youtube.com/watch?v=1ZzpdPJ7Zr4