[NTLK] Steve Jobs, R.I.P.

Forrest newtonphoenix at mindspring.com
Thu Oct 6 06:40:01 EDT 2011

																																																									It's hard to go through a typical day--no matter what walk of life you're in--and not encounter something that Steve Jobs had a hand in creating or changing. For example: If you have a smartphone--virtually all smartphones owe something to the iPhone design, even if it's just as a "worthy opponent" to it.

As Matthias said, we all knew this day was coming...and now, it's here.

God Bless you, Steve Jobs.

********

From the history that I've read, Steve killed the Newton for essentially two reasons...it had a stylus, and mostly, because it was a threat to the Macintosh.

The Newton Group was given great freedom and resources, again--according to what I've read on the Internet about Steve's second reign at Apple. Millions of dollars were spent on the Newton's R&D...indeed, many thought it would rival the Macintosh platform in usage and function.

Steve had championed the Lisa (and, to some extent, the Apple III) as a successor to the Apple II, in his first stint as Apple CEO...when both failed, he took up the flag for the Macintosh. Upon his return, it was his belief that the Newton, which was burning up R&D $$ and was about to become its own company, could be a threat to the Macintosh line. So, because he needed to cut costs and make Apple profitable, he first brought the Newton team back to Apple...then, he killed the project...on that infamous day--February 27, 1998.

There's another side--that he made a deal with Bill Gates for at least $150 million--and that included access to some of the software that made up the Newton OS. Apple desperately needed that cash, Microsoft wanted to advance their Windows CE system, which somehow they bungled. (More on this here:) http://pencomputing.com/frames/newton_obituary.html  .

Sent from my AT&T iPhone 4