[NTLK] John McCarthy

David Neale david at davidneale.eu
Thu Oct 27 07:24:01 EDT 2011

Ah, but who remembers PL/1?

I think I wrote three programs in that language before it died a death. Before that was RPG and Assembler, and afterwards COBOL, and all sorts of weird things, including a sort of Basic for a very early PC-like desktop in the mid-1970s (before anyone had heard of PCs, of course)—see http://menelise.blogspot.com/search?q=datapoint

Talking about the TI-99/4A takes me back, too. That was the first computer I had in the house, in about 1981. I started a Users Group for it in Flanders, Belgium. We had well over a hundred members, with monthly meetings attended by many of them, quite a few of whom would bring along their equipment (and in those days that meant lugging along a television set!). All good fun.

David