[NTLK] [ADMIN] The Recent Mailing List Outage

Grant Hutchinson grant at splorp.com
Tue Sep 13 18:48:44 EDT 2011

Whew.

It looks like we're back in action again.

The recent mailing list outage was due to a slightly misconfigured
server which runs the mailing list software. Something on the server
(completely unrelated to NewtonTalk) caused an inordinate amount of
memory to be consumed, affecting the mail delivery services.

Most of the list members received messages indicating that your
membership had been "disabled due to excessive bounces". This error
had nothing to do with your email accounts or ISPs. It was due to the
mail services being unable to delivery any messages and therefore
being interpreted as "bounced" email.

Bill Shamam and Media Temple helped isolate the problem and we were
able to restart the server, unclogging the list.

My apologies for the inconvenience (and those dumb error messages.)

g.

Grant Hutchinson
NewtonTalk List Dad & Web Custodian

http://splorp.com/newton