[NTLK] [ADMIN] The Recent Mailing List Outage

Grant Hutchinson grant at splorp.com
Tue Sep 13 19:19:26 EDT 2011

On Sep 13, 2011, at 4:58 PM, Tony Morrow typed vigorously:

> That's good to know I got the notice and assumed it was caused by
> the one email that went to the mailing list whose entire message was
> in the subject field. I thought that gmail had blocked it because
> under normal circumstances subjects are limited to something like
> 255 characters. You can see the message on in the newtontalk
> archive. That message may have been what caused all of the problems
> for the server.

Not sure if Jim's renegade message was the cause of the problem or
not, but I'll certainly file it away as a possibility. I'm now looking
in the Mailman settings to see if there's a way to filter those types
of subject lines in the future.

g.

Grant Hutchinson
NewtonTalk List Dad & Web Custodian