[NTLK] Speech recognition.

Jon Glass jonglass at usa.net
Wed Apr 4 03:41:41 EDT 2012

On Wed, Apr 4, 2012 at 1:14 AM, James Fraser <
wheresthatistanbul-newtontalk at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I wonder if handwriting in general (and calligraphy in particular)
> activates the
> pleasure centers of the brain in ways that the acts of speaking and typing
> do
> not?

Not for me, they wouldn't! I have atrocious handwriting, and handwriting
for me is a chore I avoid at all costs. The irony is that when I wrote on
my Newton, though, it tended to work better, because I didn't have to
understand what I wrote, nor did I have to worry about character size,
spacing, etc. I just scratched it out as fast as possible, and let my Newt
pick up the pieces, and the result was always almost 99% right. Cleaning up
was much easier than writing with pen on paper. Typing has been my primary
method of writing since the late 80s, when I first started typing my
college papers on the Macs in the lab at school. I started in '87 and never
looked back until I got my Newton. It has been my only exception to that
pattern (and while I owned Newton Keyboards, I honestly prefer HWR to the
keyboard)

I would suspect that it would be hard to generalize on these things, as
people are different, and upbringing would play a huge role as well. My own
children started learning typing at ate 6, and could type proficiently
before they were 8, and with the exception of our lefty, their handwriting
is as bad, if not worse than mine, as they never write. They grew up only
knowing keyboard input, and are excellent writers, expressing themselves
quite eloquently. They are not unique.

--
 -Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland

"I don't believe in philosophies. I believe in fundamentals." --Jack
Nicklaus

"...earnestly contend for the faith which was once delivered unto the
saints." --Jude 3