[NTLK] Learning Remote App?

James Fraser wheresthatistanbul-newtontalk at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 5 10:11:00 EST 2012

Hello,

--- On Mon, 11/26/12, Matej Horvat <redjazz_slo at yahoo.com> wrote:

> The text file that lists all 1.x samples by name credits
> Mike Cremer and Kent Sandvik. The sample is in this zip
> file
>
> http://www.unna.org/unna/apple/development/NTK/winntk/1.6b10/SAMP95NT.ZIP
>
> under Newton 1.x Sample Code\Communications\IR Remote
> Sample-2. (Of course, there's a Mac version too.)
>
> Here's a comp.sys.newton.programmer thread where Mike Engber
> and Kent Sandvik talk about it:
>
> >http://groups.google.com/group/comp.sys.newton.programmer/browse_thread/thread/abd27442ecebad29/2da3ac21240d3c94?lnk=gst&q=powercd#2da3ac21240d3c94

Thank you very much for pointing me to those links. I never would have spotted those in a million years, myself.

> Well, I actually have the NTK 1.0.1 demo from an image of the >WaiterHelper disk, which was distributed with the book "Programming for
> the Newton". The image was sent to me by a list member. The
> demo is identical to the full version, but it does not allow
> you to change the package name and the packages it produces
> display a notification when they are activated.

I'm dying to ask what the notification is, exactly, but seeing it firsthand on an OMP is probably a good incentive for me to actually get the package installed. :D

>But you could hack the packages with a hex editor to disable that.

I'm guessing the notifications are, at least in part, Apple copyright notices.  If my guess is correct, I'd as soon leave them in place, seeing as how I'm in enough trouble already.

>Why do you want version 1.0.1 anyway?

I didn't.  I asked about it because I wasn't clear if what you were referring to was sample code (i.e. it still needed to be compiled to be of any use) or installable packages.

I dug out my PowerCD (which hasn't been used in some time), but it doesn't seem to actually want to play CDs.  However, it does seem to respond to button presses.

With any luck, it will at least work well enough to test the sample package (i.e verify that the PowerCD registers a signal from the MP). I just need to get off the dime and start digging around for the early model MessagePads I have floating around, uh, somewhere.

Best,

James Fraser