[NTLK] End of year reflections

Lord Groundhog lordgroundhog at gmail.com
Mon Dec 31 08:00:00 EST 2012

This 1997 September 9 letter by Steve Jobs, courtesy of Ian Betteridge¹s
recent tweet, set me wondering (again) about the real process leading to the
death of the Newton and eMate:

> bit.ly/12Q92B5

It shows Jobs describing the eMate as having a bright future and the latest
MessagePad (the beloved MP2100) as selling briskly even though it was more
expensive and potentially more limited.   He even ended with what sounds
like a promise:

> Don't worry - we are pulling this group back into Apple so
> that we can invest even more sales and marketing resources
> into these products, rather than dumping the products into a
> small spin-off which lacks such resources.

Yet we know that what really happened is that he drew both products close,
kissed them on the cheek, slipped red carnations into their lapels and sent
them to swim with the fishes.

What was the thought process behind this change of heart?   I guess we¹re
waiting for more correspondence to emerge.

Shalom,

Christian

~~~ ~~~ ~~~

*The Destruction Of Life As We Know It*