[NTLK] End of year reflections

James Fraser wheresthatistanbul-newtontalk at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 31 20:57:33 EST 2012

Hello,

--- On Mon, 12/31/12, Lord Groundhog <lordgroundhog at gmail.com> wrote:

> I know he's @ianbetteridge, but I just pulled out that one
> tweet, which was retweeted (I think) by NewtonTalk.  I'll have to do some
> serious research when I'm not doing serious celebration of 2013.

Oh, that's quite all right.  I found it:

https://twitter.com/ianbetteridge/status/285428801230479360

Your mention of the NewtonTalk Twitter feed:

https://twitter.com/newtontalk

...gave me the toehold I needed to get to it.  Thank you. :)

Perhaps I'm the only one, but I was curious as to what, exactly, prompted Mr. Betteridge to refer to the letter.  From what I can make out, it was simply an out-of-the-blue remark and not part of a larger (and possibly interesting) conversation.

Was that the first time you had seen the letter yourself?

Personally, this one has always been my favourite (the announcement for Newton, Inc., also from Douglas Luckie's site):

https://www.msu.edu/~luckie/newtinc.htm

> PS - apparently we're supposed to have another end of the
> world NOW, but somehow I doubt it.

Famous last words. :p

Best,

James Fraser