[NTLK] Newton talker/ (SONUG) returns

Tony Morrow gizmo1482 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 9 22:34:50 EST 2012

On Feb 9, 2012, at 10:07 PM, romantic at ideal-access.com wrote:

> Hello Newton talkers,
> I'm  trying to find the wikiwkinewt resources that
> unna and Victor hosted many years ago. It was a plain text
> "how to" on everything Newton.
> I have a 2100 and a 2000 that I haven't used in about 6 or 7
> years. I did buy Hiroshi's wi-fi driver and used to connect
> to hotspots in Toronto and even download my email.
> However, I've forgotten much.
> I'd like to know the best combination of internet utilities
> to use, and where to find posts about set-up.
> Thank you,
> Roman

Hi Roman,

Welcome back to the community. Wikiwikinewt doesn't work right now, but is archived at thewaybackmachine. Here is a list of software you can use to get started with. Not sure if anybody has written a start-to-finish setup guide.
<http://web.archive.org/web/20080514131920/http://tools.unna.org/wikiwikinewt/>

Newton Internet Enabler packages
<http://www.unna.org/unnasearch/entry.php?pkey=157>

Hiroshi's wifi driver: released as freeware in 2007
<http://www.4shared.com/dir/17604590/7492369/Hiroshi_WiFi_software.html>

Web browsers of choice
Newt's Cape: typically the most feature complete browser
<http://communicrossings.com/html/newton/newtscape.htm>
Net Hopper and patches: my second choice for browsing
<http://www.unna.org/view.php?/internet/web-browsers/NetHopper3.2>
<http://dev.newtontalk.net/dpadilla/progs.htm>
Courier: no images, no forms, just text and really fast
<http://40hz.org/Pages/Courier>

Email:
MailV:
<http://homepage.mac.com/simonbell/mailv/index.html>
Simplemail: precursor to MailV. Preferred if you are using only POP3
<http://homepage.mac.com/simonbell/simplemail/>

-Tony Morrow
http://lookanotherblog.com