[NTLK] Apple Newton Cadillac

James Fraser wheresthatistanbul-newtontalk at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 3 07:46:24 EST 2012

Hello,

>"Annoying" was the word that jumped to my mind.

:D

That's why I was looking for that word: I'm hoping to gently persuade a local
grocery chain to please not purchase any more point-of-sale machines that
feature tethered/electronically-linked styluses.

It's not the "tethered" part that's so hideous: it's the electronically-linked
part.  After a few hundred customers have yanked on the tether, the stylus no
longer works.  It's not much fun watching the checkout clerk play "musical
styluses" at 2am when all you want to do is get out of the store with your
groceries. :(

I wonder how just long it took Apple to realize that the idea of a tethered
stylus was Not a Winner when it came to giving end users a way to write on their
new device?  Were there engineering constraints at the time that prompted them
to go with a tethered stylus on the prototype?

Best,

James Fraser