[NTLK] Speech recognition.

Joel M. Sciamma joel at inventors-emporium.co.uk
Wed Mar 28 14:04:59 EDT 2012

Forrest,

> This would clearly NOT be a place where I would want to be dictating my thoughts into some sort of device...as I said before, if it works for you, great! But speaking just for me--I would rather not have to evaluate the situation to determine if I could comfortably use dictation or not.

Me neither and the behaviour of your videographer was just appallingly insensitive.

I would say that dictation is primarily an 'office' tool for me but if I were sitting my car after a meeting with the MacBook Pro, I could just say everything that came into my head and have it transcribed. How cool is that? At other times I would use the keyboard and if it were available, HWR.

My computers are all working tools and my business is growing, so I need every advantage I can get, whenever I can get it. For the 17 years that the Newt was my everyday portable, I used ink, HWR, the Mac and the keyboard to get data into it and if had had SR, I would have used that too.

More tools in the toolbox the better. Now that SR is fully usable (and yes, I can tell it send an email, open an application etc.), I'll use it when there are scads of text to enter and at other times, something else.

Task and context reign supreme, not the tool.

Joel.