[NTLK] Off Topic: Macintosh SE/30 - to buy or not to buy?

Forrest newtonphoenix at mindspring.com
Wed Nov 21 02:21:05 EST 2012

William:

James' email (below) is very helpful and informative, especially the link about the checkerboard problem. I've has some experiences with the Mac Classic and Classic II that, as a new owner, you might find to be of some value.

I've got a Mac Classic that worked great at first...I got it at a second-hand store in Tucson for under $50...that was in 2006 I think. It came with this huge black canvas backpack kind of thing, with Velcro-fitted handles, a shoulder strap, and all kinds of zippered pockets outside for the power and serial cords, keyboard, mouse, etc. It was nicely padded inside for the Mac.

One day I got it out to kind of check on it and when I tried to boot it up, I got a series of perfectly-spaced vertical lines. Sometimes it would start up after a few minutes, most times not.

I went to a local electronics supply house and carefully replaced each of the can capacitors one by one. It didn't help.

Finally, after weeks of waiting, a Classic II logic board showed up on eBay. I pounced on it--I didn't want to spend a lot for something I wasn't 100% certain wasn't the problem, especially after the replaced caps. (The basic differences between the Classic and Classic II are: faster processor, more memory AND--from a form factor standpoint--the Classic II has an audio input plug, the Classic does not.)

Powered it up and...the same thing happened--well, almost. After about 1 minute, the Classic/II booted up normally, everything worked fine. BUT...before the startup, there are still the same lines as before. Research shows this is likely a component that isn't soldered correctly (for example), and the connection has to "warm up" a bit before it can complete.

"OKAY," I think, "I've got this figured out." So, I replace all the can caps on the just-received Classic II board. "AHA!" I think.

The same thing. Over. And. Again.

The next thing I would think would be a new video board--but according to my research, that's rarely the source of the problem.

I'm funny about my old computer collection--I want it all to work properly, and look and run as close to its original state as is financially practical. What I've done for now with the Mac Classic/II is put it away again, and eventually I'll get after troubleshooting and fixing it again.

Thanks,
--Forrest

"The idea that Bill Gates has appeared like a knight in shining armour to lead all customers out of a mire of technological chaos neatly ignores the fact that it was he who, by peddling second-rate technology, led them into it in the first place." --Douglas Adams

•www.broodcoffeetalk.wordpress.com--Thoughts, observations, ideas…stuff to brood over
•Have iPad questions? I'm the Mesa (AZ) iPad Examiner...see what I write about at http://exm.nr/HYeN8K+
•Twitter: @FBuffenmyer