[NTLK] MadNewton (Mad Max) and SHOUTcast streaming sites

Chris Browder kcfoxie at gmail.com
Wed Nov 28 00:09:51 EST 2012

Hi all,

So I've been toying around with Mad Max on the Newton. Very impressive. I
have gotten some neat radio streams to work that are icecast (Old Time
Radio Fan is a personal favorite: http://www.otrfan.com/info/stream_info.php)
... but nothing that is SHOUTcast DNAS seems to play. These sites tend to
output a listen.pls file and they don't have anything past the / in the URL
that the player can connect to.

I've done some searching but cannot seem to locate the mythical MP3 or
stream designation, and fear that SHOUTcast services simply won't work. You
get a 404 error pop-up, and no music (often, it just disconnects).

Also it's really hard to find sub-96k streams. The local classical station,
WPCE, broadcasts in 96k and it is choppy more often than not. Old Time
Radio Fan and other sites that are sub-96k seem to stream just fine.

I did some searching of the archives (via Google) and found a few topics on
this, but no real answers.

I value everyone else's experience in this situation.

Much love,
Chris