[NTLK] USB-001 Mod & Printing

Forrest newtonphoenix at mindspring.com
Fri Nov 30 11:49:41 EST 2012

I have successfully printed from a Newton to an Apple LaserWriter IINT. It is a giant beast of a machine.

I was able to get three of them for $25 each at the venerable Arizona State University Surplus warehouse in 2002. That's also where I got many of my older Macs. You bought the machines "as is"--you were allowed to test them but not disassemble, under penalty of expulsion.

You'd test what you were interested in, make your best judgement, maybe get a couple more of the same for parts. Later on at home, you'd cobble what you had together for a more complete Mac (or whatever it was).

Sadly, about 6 years ago someone there got smart. They started doing that very thing--building complete machines from parts--and selling the result for more $$. Now there aren't any more "computer science experiment" machines available any more in that former condition.

The IINT prints in PostScript, which the Newton already knows. It has a DB-8 serial port, so no adjustment required there. It takes still-available toner cartridges (was about $25-50 on eBay a little while ago). But it is large and pretty heavy, noisy and a bit smelly (but in a good geek way!). It also can raise the temperature in a small room by 5-10 degrees F (heat drum in unit).

It only prints in black and white...if it's been well taken care of it'll produce results that are free of stray lines and streaks, and that rival inkjet and more modern printers.

Not suggesting you go out and find one...just providing information.

Thanks,
--Forrest

Sent from my AT&T iPhone 4