[NTLK] Off Topic: Macintosh SE/30 - to buy or not to buy?

Gavin Watson gavin83209 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 7 20:08:20 EDT 2012

If one was determined enough, they could probably also get a 7600 to run
OS X with XPostFacto and a G3 or G4 upgrade. It wouldn't be quick, but
it would be a very capable machine.

That said, I would recommend a beige G3 desktop as a bridge machine
between modern computers and Newtons or old Macs. They're reasonably
quick under OS 9 and officially support up to OS 10.2. They have
standard RJ-45 Ethernet jacks (as opposed to much less common AAUI
Ethernet jacks), serial ports, three PCI slots, a floppy drive, a CD or
DVD drive, and even an optional Zip drive. Mine was a 266 MHz version
overclocked to 333 MHz with 768 MB of RAM, the 6 MB VRAM upgrade, a DVD
drive and the Bordeauxpersonality card. I loved that thing so much.