[NTLK] eMate hinge repair for dummies

Woody Smith woodysmith at me.com
Sun Apr 7 13:09:10 EDT 2013

You should do this repair because you may already have a released
spring that is resting on the ribbon, but not yet cut through.  I have
seen this in a significant number of eMates that I have opened.

There was a technique that others wrote about where you left the wires
soldered and manipulated the logic board to flip over to the right.

Due to the ribbons connected to the keyboard i felt that this put too
much stress and wasn't worth it.

Removing and reattaching the speaker wires and backlight wires is
extremely easy since they are surface soldered to a small pad.  The
main risk is over heating the pad and causing it to release from the
logic board.
I use a hot well tinned soldering pencil, a quick touch while slightly
tugging the wire and it's released.  To reattach orient the wire on
the pad which should still have enough solder and with another quick
touch its reattached, a steady hand is needed to keep the wire in
place for the solder to harden.
A quick touch is a fraction of a second.
If you own a soldering iron/pencil your skill level is probably high
enough.

If you have a friend with soldering experience, ask for help.  When
eMates were expensive I helped many folks with this repair but today
the cost of shipping is greater than the cost of the eMate.

Woody