[NTLK] More Flash in MP2x000? Who knows more?

Matthias Melcher mm at matthiasm.com
Wed Aug 21 03:54:30 EDT 2013

OK, to answer myself here:

I took some time to actually measure the connections on my ROM board. The empty spaces on the back of the ROM board are unfortunately not for flash RAM, but for ROM chips. It's likely that Apple kept the option to use four small ROM chips instead of two large ones. I keep forgetting that these chips were really expensive in 1995. Today, the flash memory cost around a dollar per chip in quantities of one... .

That means that there is not going to be a 12MB internal RAM Newton any time soon. It would have been so elegant ;-)

Still, if anyone can get their hands on this particular card, we could trace it and copy it... .

 - Matthias