[NTLK] RipOff Holsters for MP2x00s [WAS: "Re: Orlando poutine? (was: Montreal Poutine Week)"]

Lord Groundhog lordgroundhog at gmail.com
Sat Feb 2 08:03:49 EST 2013

~~~ On 2013/02/02 12:35, James Fraser at
wheresthatistanbul-newtontalk at yahoo.com wrote ~~~

> Hello,
>
> --- On Fri, 2/1/13, Lord Groundhog <lordgroundhog at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> But if you hunt for it, there's another version without the
>> pockets.
>
> There's no need to hunt for it.  You will find it here:
>
> http://ripoffs.com/datasheets/co125/co125.html

> While we're talking, there's probably no harm in mentioning the CO-50:
>
> http://www.ripoffs.com/datasheets/co50/co50.html
>
> ...in case an MP1x0 owner happens to be in the market for a holster.
>
>> I found their website a bit confusing, they make so much
>> stuff.
>
> It's not necessarily the number and variety of items that's at fault so much
> as their site simply isn't designed all that well.  ...             I mean,
> you shouldn't need to go "hunting" for like products: they should be a click
> or two away (as in the example of the CO-58/CO-125 cases).

Since you mention it, yes, the site design isn't good, in fact, it needs a
major make-over.  But if they had fewer products (and perhaps they did have
fewer products at the beginning of the site -- before the cellphone
explosion) it would be just about manageable.  But with all the things they
make, they need serious help.  If I were a site designer I'd offer to do it
for free but I don't have that skill set.

>> Also, those pockets create 2 places for carrying a pen as
>> long as you're sensible about it.
>
> Not being a sensible sort (I seem to spend most of my time being quite
> insensible, or so I've been informed), I'd be much obliged if you'd kindly
> school me on how to successfully carry a standard-sized pen in the side
> pockets. :)
>
> I ask because, when I first tried to put a spare MP stylus in one of the side
> pockets, it exhibited the unfortunate tendency to slip to one side, nearly
> falling out of the pocket.  : /
>
> Is there some sort of "trick" to doing this?  Of do you merely place a pen
> vertically in the middle of the pocket, then grab the flap and fasten it down
> tightly for all its worth?

Terminology problem.  My bad.  Take the case off your belt.  Now look at the
cloth that creates the two *front* pockets (the ones with flaps).  They
don't stop at the front of the case like some cheapo case would be, they're
stitched in front but then wrap around to the back and are sewn into the
main seams on each side.  That forms two narrow pockets one on each side of
your Newton.  Those pockets are open at the bottom so you either have to use
the pens' clips or else close the bottom yourself (I prefer to use the
clips).  They're quite snug for a decent diameter of pen.   Check it out!
;-)

>> I always have a fine point permanent marker with me and
>> that's where it rides, but if I want to carry my multi-point
>> pen (with 2 colours plus pencil plus extra stylus) it goes in the other
>> one.
>
> I don't know if you've ever test-driven one of these:
>
> (Warning: Space Pen link.  Avert your eyes and run away *now* before you are
> sucked into the raging Vortex of Nerdiness!)
>
> http://tinyurl.com/avms673

I like my Space Pen.  But only for those occasions when I can't use a
fountain pen.  It's good to leave in the car.  And my permanent marker has
other special tasks it does...

> The screams of the UPS man as he thinks you are screwing up the screen on the
> unit by signing it with some sort of standard pen (if not a metal implement;
> you didn't uncap it, remember?) will be quite loud and piercing, thereby
> obviating the need for you to purchase coffee that day in order to help keep
> you awake.
>
> Do that a few times* and the pen practically pays for itself! :P

Great!  Thanks for this capital suggestion.  It'll be good for laughs -- but
I'll still want coffee.  Since I replaced my blood with coffee, I have to
keep topping up or my bone marrow will kick in and I'll revert to being a
mere mortal.

> Anyway, my Space Pen excitement (if not delirium), aside, can you please tell
> us:
>
>> my multi-point pen (with 2 colours plus pencil plus extra stylus) it >goes in
>> the other one.
>
> ...the make and model of your favourite pen?  And whether it uses pressurized
> refills?  I'll take a guess and say it's some sort of Rotring/Tikky variant,
> providing you with an opportunity to tell me how I just *couldn't be* more
> wrong. :^)

My *favourite* pen is my Parker fountain pen.  I loathe ballpoints except
when I have to use one.  As for my multi-colour, I have several:  Rotring is
the one I carry a lot but the clip is fragile.  I ended up soldering it back
on -- now hoping I never need to dismantle it.   For a time those "pens +
pencil + stylus" combos were commonplace and I was fortunate enough to by a
fair few.  Now they're rare, and I'm down to 3 which I soon will have to
take scavenge to make into one good one.

> *Actually, -one- time is quite enough, I can assure you. : /
>
> It's far less stressful all-around to unclip the pen from your shirt, ...

Not for me it won't be.  I don't get stressed easily.

But I will save that trick for one particular delivery guy who tends to be
ornery and unpleasant.  It's the least I can do for him.   ;-)

Shalom,

Christian

            -- ref.:  Arthur C. Clarke

http://youtube.com/watch?v=1ZzpdPJ7Zr4