[NTLK] That recent spam message marked "hello!" from "john wallace"

Lord Groundhog lordgroundhog at gmail.com
Sun Feb 3 14:20:10 EST 2013

~~~ On 2013/02/03 14:55, Morgan Aldridge at morgant at makkintosshu.com wrote
~~~

> So, I wouldn't say they're doing nothing to prevent spam, but free
> email accounts are definitely a problem (you can blame Google and
> other ISPs just as much as Yahoo! for that).

I'm glad they've done what they have, but the other side of it seems to be
that if someone finds a way round it, they don't care and don't want to
know.  A couple of years back my account was taken over despite the
security.  I've never stored addresses online and only use my Yahoo accounts
so I can join Yahoo groups that interest me, so my friends didn't get
spammed, but a particular Y!-group got porn-spam from my account.  Yahoo
admin wouldn't help me investigate.  They just sent form responses that led
to nothing, and because they wouldn't respond to me or the group's admin, he
banned me without appeal.  In his place I suppose anyone might do the same.
But that doesn't make it any easier for me, being banned from a group I'd
enjoyed for almost 10 years for something I didn't do.

More recently someone I know told me that the admin of the group temporarily
lost control of his own account, again because someone managed to bypass
that Yahoo security.  Of course they spammed the group again.  I don't
understand how that security system can be bypassed; it looked robust to me,
but these experiences have reinforced my mistrust of promises by pretty much
all web services when they say they're secure enough.  Enough for what?

Shalom,

Christian

            -- ref.:  Arthur C. Clarke

http://youtube.com/watch?v=1ZzpdPJ7Zr4