[NTLK] Oil in Newton.. LOL

Lord Groundhog lordgroundhog at gmail.com
Fri Jan 11 18:14:28 EST 2013

~~~ On 2013/01/11 16:54, Chris Chapman at chrisc30 at me.com wrote ~~~

> Well, took it apart yesterday, I tore off the plastic sheet on the back of the
> case. Cleaned up as much oil as I could. I took apart the pen silo, power
> switch and the PCB. I crazy glued the plastic sheet back on, and fired it up..
> works great! Since the oil I used was synthetic, I should be good for at least
> another 5-7k miles.

Chris, I hate to be the guy that makes you say "NOW you tell me!", but did
you attempt to clean it with any kind of detergent or with any other means
of absorbing or flushing off the oil?  Or did you just wipe it.  Just
wondering.

The thing that really has me wondering is the way oil is designed to behave.
Basically, it's made to take advantage of the various physical principles of
liquid behaviour to insinuate itself along surfaces and into crevices and
gaps.  I could imagine this showing up in the next few months to a year,
maybe showing up at an inconvenient moment as an oil slick leaking out onto
your hand, or maybe looking really strange on/in the screen.

It's time for someone who knows more about the construction of the Newton to
point out all the reasons why what I've said is ridiculous.  Please do it
ASAP, so I don't have to endure weeks of nightmares about my Newt making
gurgling sounds and crying, "Lord Groundhog, I'm drowning!   Save me,
please, save me!  Gh-gh-bl-grbrblbghhhhh........."

Shalom,

Christian

            -- ref.:  Arthur C. Clarke

http://youtube.com/watch?v=1ZzpdPJ7Zr4