[NTLK] Invitation to connect on LinkedIn

Lord Groundhog lordgroundhog at gmail.com
Wed Jan 30 20:10:47 EST 2013

~~~ On 2013/01/30 20:56, Grant Hutchinson at grant at splorp.com wrote ~~~

> On 2013-01-30, at 12:18 PM, Tony Kan wrote:
>
>> Interestingly, there really is a Christopher Gawley in the G NY area but he
>> works for Morgan Stanley and does list his position as Trustee at Mt St Mary
>> College.
>>
>> Wonder how he got caught up in a kind of phishing expedition?
>
> It may not have been a phishing expedition at all. It could have been
> something as simple as one of those "connect your address book and invite all
> your friends" buttons.

It could also be that someone has somehow hijacked the account for the lulz.
I received a series of invitations to my work LinkedIn address from a
well-known author and journalist.  Now of course I'm in great demand among
the Great and the Good [insert derisive laughter here] but this person had
no reason to try to connect with me at all.  When I eventually queried her,
she denied all knowledge and said that her account had "somehow" sent out
numerous invitations of which she had no knowledge to people she'd never
heard of.  Apparently she doesn't use it much at all.

I presume she didn't include me among those she'd never heard of, but never
mind.   The point is, this wouldn't be the first time I've heard of a
LinkedIn account being used to send invitations that weren't intended by the
holder.

OTOH, I've had far more invitations sent out by people who seem to think LI
is like Facebook, and you get some kind of kudos for having a load of
connections to people you don't know.

It would be interesting to know what happened here.

Shalom,

Christian

            -- ref.:  Arthur C. Clarke

http://youtube.com/watch?v=1ZzpdPJ7Zr4