[NTLK] 3D Printing a Battery Tray

Leigh Honeywell leigh at hypatia.ca
Mon Mar 18 23:07:13 EDT 2013

I have an STL file somewhere of a Newton tray - I got a friend to CT
scan it minus the metal parts. Those shouldn't be that hard to jury
rig out of some paperclip bits :)

I'll see if I can dig up the file, and anyone who wants to can take it
to their local hackerspace or send it to shapeways.com.

-Leigh

On Mon, Mar 18, 2013 at 10:48 AM, Forrest <newtonphoenix at mindspring.com> wrote:
> The biggest problem with printing the battery tray might not be the actual tray, but the metal parts that form the battery contacts.
>
> Unless one was able to reuse parts from an old tray, it would seem unlikely that a supplier for just those metal parts could be found. In past discussions this was a deal-breaker for completing a battery tray printing project.
>
> Thanks,
> --Forrest
>
> Sent from my AT&T iPhone 4
>
> On Mar 18, 2013, at 8:03 AM, Dana Gray <dalexgray at mac.com> wrote:
>
>> Dear NewtonTalk Users,
>>    Hi, I'm Alex.  I'm new to the list.  I'm a long-time classic Mac user and suddenly had an urge to try out Newton.
>>    The Newton I found only came with a nearly-dead battery pack so I hunted around and came up with Davis Remmel's brilliant idea–print your own!  I uploaded the design to Shapeways but was just informed this morning that they could not print the design because the walls were too thin.  Here's the image they sent along as a bit of an explanation.  http://img191.imageshack.us/img191/6641/552807.jpg
>>    So I'm wondering, has anyone found a 3D printing service that can manage printing the battery tray?  Has anyone found that altering the design can make it printable at Shapeways?  Specifically I was thinking of closing the 3 holes in the tray to give it more rigidity.
>>    Thanks, and I'm looking forward to meeting all of you,
>> Alex

Leigh Honeywell
http://hypatia.ca
@hypatiadotca