[NTLK] [OT] doing new school, old school; + comment [WAS: "Re: System 7 in the browser"]

Lord Groundhog lordgroundhog at gmail.com
Wed Nov 6 06:42:56 EST 2013

I couldn't help comparing/contrasting this discussion of running System 7 in
a browser with this page, mentioned in another group of which I'm part:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Upgrade-your-original-1984-Macintosh-to-run-
OS-X-S/

I assume most people here already are familiar with this but it was new to
me and the juxtaposition of a couple of days made me want to share it and
ask, anyone here ever try something like this, either with an old Mac or
with something Newtonish?

And then there was this:

~~~ On 2013/11/06 09:53, Joost van de Griek at gyorpb at gmail.com wrote ~~~

> Theory is when you know something, but it doesn't work. Practice is when
> something works, but you don't know why. Programmers combine theory and
> practice: nothing works and they don't know why.

Joost, this made me smile; it also made me think of the quotation you might
enjoy, attributed and misattributed to several people:
"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice.  But in
practice, there is."

Shalom,

Christian

~~~ ~~~ ~~~

³I had to go back and transcribe all of my
speech notes from my Newton, which is what
I usually use for giving speeches from,
because I wasn¹t sure I was going to be
able to read it in this light, so I had to
transcribe the notes onto paper. Unfortunately,
my Newton is better at reading my handwriting
than I am. So, there may be a pause while I
try and decipher what I¹ve written.²

            -- Douglas Adams

http://youtube.com/watch?v=1ZzpdPJ7Zr4
(With thanks to Chod Lang)