[NTLK] NewtonTalk Digest, Vol 48, Issue 8

Andrei Chichak newton at chichak.ca
Mon Sep 9 13:24:13 EDT 2013

On 2013-September-09, at 11:07 AM, Alex Perez <aperez at alexperez.com> wrote:

>>> It's time like this that I wish that the Arduino had an ARM processor or the Raspberry Pi had a bit more of a bus.
>>>
>>> I wonder about the Arduino Due, are the address and data busses adequately exposed to allow code execution?
>>
>> Yeah, the Pi is quite low on pins. Also, thanks to the complex OS, timing is not that easy. Controlling stepper motors from the Pi is a pain thanks to unpredictable timing.
>
> Actually, there's a port of FreeRTOS to Raspberry Pi -
> http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=22423

Time to kill this. The RTOS on the Pi isn't the problem, someone is finishing up a port of RTEMS for the Pi, but that doesn't get around the issue that the Pi doesn't have enough I/O pins to access the ROM image without doing something dumb like using a parallel to SPI  conversion processor.

Matthias is right, what he's done is cool, but that's about the extent of its usefulness.