[NTLK] I'v lost my soup index

Dan dan at dbdigitalweb.com
Wed Sep 25 16:50:16 EDT 2013

On 9/25/2013 2:00 PM, Lord Groundhog wrote:
> ~~~ On 2013/09/25 02:39, Bob Dudney at kosmicdollop at saber.net wrote ~~~
>
>> Hi, Christian,
>>
>> SBM Utilities might be able to rebuild the index for you. Worth a try. First
>> just run Doctor. I believe at least a couple other utilities also have these
>> capabilities.
>>
>> <http://www.4shared.com/dir/17792228/c0e8a1d/SBM_Utilities.html>
>>
>> SBM Options allows activating freezing. As well as other freewares.
>>
>> To clone settings, including folders, copy "system" soup from internal store
>> onto internal store of the clone. I'm not sure if you can just beam it across;
>> that would be simplest.
>>
>> You can also use built-in backup function with a flash card, then restore to
>> the other Newton.
>>
>> Restore will, of course, erase then replace all system soup info on internal
>> memory. That includes all sorts stuff, including registrations. Maybe all
>> Owner info as well, including locations.
>>
>> SBM Utilities can also copy onto flash card, or at least backup.
>>
>> Good luck!
>>
>> BCD
>>

> Thanks Bob, and thanks for the explanation.   I'll try SBM -- I was just
> surprised that this Newton didn't already have freezing built in.

It does, but not "activated" on the UI.  All the various packages do is
turn on the ability to be called upon by the user in addition of other
software.  Freezeman is another package that does this.  There are a lot
of others but the names exscape me at the moment.  Stand alone had a
package that was just to enable this feature.

After it is enabled you don't need the software that did it anymore.
Although some make freezing large swaths of packages easier via user
created lists.  Newtscase had a couple of packages for this that were
really good, best I ever saw for the Newt, but harder to acquire these
days.  Not sure if the author is contactable any more or not.  I haven't
talked with him in probably 7 or 8 years.

-Dan