[NTLK] A 68kMLA forum member engineers a Newton power adapter

Forrest newtonphoenix at mindspring.com
Wed Apr 16 02:09:50 EDT 2014

On Apr 13, 2014, at 11:24 PM, Andrei Chichak <newton at chichak.ca> wrote:

> On 2014-April-13, at 6:35 AM, Morgan Aldridge <morgant at makkintosshu.com> wrote:
>
>> A 68kMLA forum member has engineered a 3W Newton power adapter:
>>
>>   <https://68kmla.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=23453>
>>
>> I'm no electrical engineer, so I can't comment on its accuracy or quality,
>> but thought that the rest of you who are might be interested.
>
> I work with a bunch of EEs. After a whole bunch of years of wrapping code around their power supplies and associated gizmal-gazmals I can say that we would only use an LM317 regulator as a very quick and dirty, wasteful hack.

As I read both these emails I could not help but nod and smile.

Some time ago an individual (I've long forgotten whom) opined that eventually, all of our Newtons will die simply because each will eventually wear out...and the last available ones will have been snapped up on eBay, et al...these, too, will pass away.

However, thanks to the work of Andrei and company, there exists the very real possibility that the very essence of Newton-ness might be passed on to other devices (as Einstein), so at least some semblance of the machine could continue to exist.

But it's interesting to me that there are others out there still plugging away at that original Newton hardware, attempting to improve it, trying their very best to stave off that inevitable end.

Thanks,
--Forrest

"The idea that Bill Gates has appeared like a knight in shining armour to lead all customers out of a mire of technological chaos neatly ignores the fact that it was he who, by peddling second-rate technology, led them into it in the first place."
--Douglas Adams