[NTLK] Einstein 64-bit

Morgan Aldridge morgant at makkintosshu.com
Wed Dec 3 07:25:13 EST 2014

On Wednesday, December 3, 2014, Steven Frank <stevenf at panic.com> wrote:

> There's one warning I don't understand that comes from the 64-bit version
> of ffi.
>
> With the disclaimer that I don't really know what I'm talking about, it
> seems that ffi is used only for TNativeCalls class, which seems to be
> largely unused and possibly superseded by Matthias's tricks with fibers and
> ROM injections.  (true?)
>
> It's easy enough to break the dependency on ffi -- the Android build does
> already.  But is that sufficient to make Einstein 64-bit friendly?

Apologies if I'm way off here, but I' coming from the NEWT/0 side of
things. Paul Guyot contributed his "Relativity" (calling native methods on
the host OS from NewtonScript code)  support to NEWT/0 and it uses libffi
to do that. I'm not sure if Matthias used that at all for his Ethernet card
emulation (probably not), so it may be something that looks like it's not
really being used now, but would be a loss for extending packages on the
Newton OS side to take advantage of features inherent in newer OSes that
Einstein would be running on.

--
Morgan
---