[NTLK] Google releases Android Studio, kills off Eclipse ADT plugin

Morgan Aldridge morgant at makkintosshu.com
Wed Dec 10 08:21:36 EST 2014

On Wednesday, December 10, 2014, Matthias Melcher <mm at matthiasm.com> wrote:

> > On Dec 10, 2014, at 7:55 AM, Valerio Paris Mitritsakis <
> valerio at mitritsakis.gr <javascript:;>> wrote:
> >
> > Technically you are not paying to write code. Xcode is free. You are
> paying to have your app published on the app store and have the benefits
> paying (professional) programmers have.
>
> Yes, technically. But actually Einstein will always be rejected by Apple,
> so de facto I pay 100 Euros to run it for one year on one iPhone. I would
> be willing to pay that money if at least my friends could run the app for
> free, but they can't.

With Test Flight under iOS 8, it is actually pretty easy for 100 of your
friends to use it for free, which makes the $100/yr much more worthwhile.
Yes, you have to create an app as-if you were going to submit it to the App
Store, but you don't have to submit it.

> > There are merits to having a "walled garden" (as people tend to call the
> iOS App Store distribution model) which you may agree with or not.
>
> There are as many viruses, idiotic, waste of money, scheming, stealing,
> spying apps on iOS as there are on Android. At least on Android, they tell
> you beforehand if the "fart" app wants access to you contacts and your
> phone accounts. On iOS, you have to rely on Apple employees to filter out
> the crap (or so it was 20012 when my last iPhone met the dumpster).

That is not accurate. There are no viruses on iOS (non-jailbroken, at
least), but obviously there are plenty of apps that are a waste of time &
money and thrive on addiction tendencies.

I would also say that there are little to no spying apps and certainly far
less to spy on (some light inmate apps track what other apps are installed,
for example, which is sketchy, but not quite spying, and can't do much
more. Contrary to your statement, the iOS user does have to approve an
app's access to contacts, camera, etc., so they cannot access sensitive
data like that outside the app without the user knowing or approving.

--
Morgan
---