[NTLK] Odd screen effect w NuShield

Jonathan Dueck jonathan.dueck at gmail.com
Tue Jul 1 11:27:47 EDT 2014

Hi, folks!

So, the preceding chat about screen protectors motivated me to take
the InvisibleShield off the Newton 2100. It was so very clear, but a
real pain to write on.

I put on the older NuShield that was installed on the Newt before, and
I noticed a very odd effect: the screen faded. I don't think it's the
normal optical effect of a NuShield, since when I had new ones (in the
distant past) they were pretty clear. This effect is even more
pronounced in sunlight and heat: when I've got the Newt outside with
the NuShield on, the screen fades quickly, and amping up the contrast
helps only marginally.

My provisional theory is that either a) the NuShield material has aged
and it now reacts to heat, becoming clearer when it cools off again or
maybe b) the NuShield is pushing on some component or other in the
Newton display.

Anyone else see this oddity? I think I'm going to order a new NuShield anyhow.

-Jon