[NTLK] Geek Alert: NewtonOS

Jon Glass jonglass at usa.net
Sun Jul 6 02:05:53 EDT 2014

On Sun, Jul 6, 2014 at 12:04 AM, Forrest <newtonphoenix at mindspring.com>
wrote:

> Of course, there is no hardware for it...I'm sure there are Himalayas of
> legal issues regarding that. I, myself, wouldn't give up on the idea,
> however...we've come this far, who knows what could be next?
>
> The only question is: when does our creation stop being the little green
> friend we all know and love? Because, if this pace continues, it will at
> some point have less and less resemblance to an actual, late 90s Newton.

Hm. I read it more that our Newton emulator will be less emulation and
running more at native speeds on the hardware we run it on. So, for
instance, you can run your "Newon" on the iPhone at native speeds, and have
it not feel or behave as if it were just an emulator. I don't think the
goal is so much to bring in new features, but to allow those features to
operate as if they were native to the hardware. I suppose that, if it were
to come to this, it would be best to find a single hardware platform on
which to run it that would be open enough and simple enough to allow it to
operate as well as possible and be as simple as possible to implement. As
much as I hate Samsung, I think that the Note platform would probably be
best... but that's just my thinking...

--
 -Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland

"I don't believe in philosophies. I believe in fundamentals." --Jack
Nicklaus

"...earnestly contend for the faith which was once delivered unto the
saints." --Jude 3