[NTLK] Geek Alert: NewtonOS

Jeff Sheldon jeffsheldon at gmail.com
Thu Jul 10 12:02:39 EDT 2014

On Thu, Jul 10, 2014 at 6:47 AM, Matthias Melcher <mm at matthiasm.com> wrote:
> This also explains, why the emulated NewtonOS by now runs almost as fast as the original: for one original CPU command, the emulator must run a thousand or more new commands.

Matthias, you are a scholar and a gentleman.

Very elegant work.  Thanks for the transparent and inclusive approach
on the evolution and enhancements of the Einstein project.  I believe
once the proprietary ROM issue's in the past, the project will gain
more exposure, possibly attract a few talented minions, and there-by
allow other longstanding issues to be more fully explored.

I hope to read about the challenges, triumphs, and human element of
what you've endured along the way some day in short story format (ie.
think "Defying Gravity" and "Soul of a New Machine").  Maybe one day
we can interview some of you top players from over the years who've
made substantial contributions.  After all, the Newton's only  lasted
this long because of its dedicated community, coders, contributed
documentation, and the software and hardware enhancements which
broadened its usability and kept morale going.  It's a pretty
compelling story and one that's got plenty of steam left.  Perhaps we
can convince Susie to write such a book after she finishes her defense
;-)

-Jeff