[NTLK] Suggested Laptop for Newton programming

Morgan Aldridge morgant at makkintosshu.com
Mon Mar 17 07:06:43 EDT 2014

Agreed, the Pismos are the best choice for their reliability, connection
options and ease of repair/expansion. That said, pretty much any other
model (68k or PPC) with built in Ethernet and serial ports will work fine
for installing NTK and developing for the Newton.

If you have a more modern Mac running OS X or a Linux or Windows PC, you
might try developing more natively if you don't need the serial NTK
inspector. You can install Mac OS 7.5.5 & NTK in a Basillisk II emulation
environment for development, or try DyneTK natively (OS X, Linux, or
Windows), or if you're more comfortable with the command line there is
tntk. See <http://newtonscript.org> for more details & links to these
options (plus additional NewtonScript programming references).

Morgan