[NTLK] OT: Poutine Burger

L.W. Brown lwb at mac.com
Thu May 1 02:09:46 EDT 2014

Thanks!! Very thoroughly explained, and enlightening to this relative newcomer to the area - certainly the homemade ghee and yoghurt explanation is new to me, and quite interesting, as ghee & yoghurt are AWESOME to cook with. (We must dine together at the Granville Island farmers market some day.)
The Fb campaign was a disgusting embarrassment, and (in my ever-so-humble, cynical opinion) clearly the stale, tired result of a PR firm trying to gin up local support for Costco’s quite public efforts to get the city of Bellingham to pay (out of taxes) for a brand new road, at a new location, so that Costco could move to a bigger, more profitable, site without having even worse traffic congestion than they have now. (Truly does get awfully crowded on the single main road by that store on shopping days.) What better way to get what you want? Just try getting the local yahoos stirred up and “hating” on those (purely coincidentally, largely dark-skinned, Indian subcontinent, turbaned) Canadians coming to buy “our” gas & milk, ostensibly to “dodge Canadian taxes” (extra dog-whistle: US pay-tree-utts all hate soshullist guh’mint taxes, and - apparently - even those who are trying to avoid them!)...
(Additional background: area Canadian, & American, Sikhs do clearly love Costco’s milk & butter, but the ethnic Euro-Canadians tend to congregate at Trader Joes - which has awful milk, by the by - also causing some traffic congestion, but so far no similar call for a "USA-day” - maybe, perhaps, because TJ is not planning to move…)
((Just one correction: there is no tax on groceries, but there are taxes on gas, and clothes, etc., tho much lower than in BC.)

So much for an “enlightened" corporation, and so sweet to see the “free" market in (political) action.
But I digress…

And now, for something completely different, back to regular programming:
poutine on a burger sounds awful, but yet compelling, like standing on the roof of a very high building, suffering both a strange compulsion to - & shuddering fear that you will - jump over the railing...

Live green.