[NTLK] Do you have a Markdown syntax writing workflow?

Mr. Steven M Scotten splicer at paroxysm.com
Sat May 10 15:30:16 EDT 2014

Hi Stephen—

I’ve also thought about creating a Markdown-based workflow that includes the eMate. I organize my writing using Scrivener on the Mac and do a text sync to Markdown files (one file per chapter) on my Dropbox account. Then I use plaintext editors (usually Byword on Mac or iPad) to do the writing.

It seems like it should be drop-dead simple to bring the eMate into that equation. However, I don’t think there will ever be a Dropbox client for Newton, which means syncing with a desktop.

It’s been a while since I tried to connect the eMate to the desktop for file syncing and I don’t think I ever got file syncing to work over a network with an Intel Mac. Actually, while I’ve had my MP2100(U) since 2000 and before that I had an MP130 which I bought in 1996, I didn’t get the eMate until 2007 and I’m not sure I’ve *ever* gotten it to sync with the desktop. I’m very certain I don’t have an old-fashioned serial port on any machine.

The other thing I can’t answer (because it’s too far back in my memory) is whether it’s even possible to sync plain text files or whether they come back as formatted ClarisWrite documents. I’m not trying to FUD here; I just remember seeing options for transferring a zillion types of word processing files but I don’t think I ever tried moving plaintext.

(For those who don’t know what Markdown is, it *is* plain text. It’s a fancy name for what we’ve been doing in email and on BBSs since before there were 1200 baud modems: *italics*, **bold**, etc. OK, more than a fancy name since the conventions have been formalized: [Markdown overview on Daring Fireball](http://daringfireball.net/projects/markdown/).)

So I’m sorry that I don’t have a lot of answers here but I’m motivated to do some tinkering and see if we can’t come up with something workable!

Steve