[NTLK] MP2000 Back latch

Forrest Buffenmyer newtonphoenix at mindspring.com
Mon Nov 10 13:45:15 EST 2014

Greg:

The worst part of the disassembly is the small ribbon connector for the display's digitizer. It has two tiny inline locating holes that fit onto two correspondingly tiny plastic pins. This "sandwich" is held together (not by a toothpick ;) ) with one (or two) small screw(s) that go(es) into the rear plastic of the case.

See here: http://www.pda-soft.de/2x00_disassemble.html This link is to Frank Gruendel's excellent Newton/eMate site.

Needless to say, stripping those screw hole(s) would be very bad. And, as Frank points out, the tiny cable must be carefully pried off the pegs, as he calls them. And and, here's a tiny bit of glue helping to hold it securely.

Of all the parts of the 2x00 that I have disassembled (I've taken apart several, for various reasons), this one makes me the most uneasy.

I would never (well, rarely) discourage anyone who wants to take apart their Newton, even if it's just to see what's inside. But I think you should be aware of what's up before you go in there. You sound like myself--kind of a perfectionist who likes to have things "just so." Sometimes, however, an attempt to make things just a bit better makes them much worse. Sadly, this has happened to me on more than one occasion.

Enough gloom and doom. People take these apart all the time...if you want to replace the clip, go for it!

Thanks,
--Forrest

(Sent from my Hisense Sero 7 Pro...with Einstein)