[NTLK] Ethernet, WiFi, Persistent Free Memory Errors

Bob Carls Dudney kosmicdollop at saber.net
Sat Oct 25 18:04:30 EDT 2014

Yeah, Greg, Apple screwed up issuing the 2000 with inadequate RAM.

There's no comparison to ethernet/internet on 2100 (or 2000U, of course).

Not that it’s great! Only very simple sites and barebones email will work.

And I always had to freeze everything except essential packages on 2100 as
well.

IIRC, serial is better for connecting to NCX -- if you have the equipment!

But I haven't compared that with today's machines using ethernet.

Maybe someone still does RAM upgrades.

My sympathy!

you wrote:

> Not to be totally annoying, but two additional notes about this problem:
>
> 1. It seems to escalate over time -- that is, the more times I try to
connect with the dock via ethernet, the earlier in the process I get the
"not enough memory" error, even after a restart. For example, this
morning, I successfully obtained an IP address a couple of times,
getting the error only after that was accomplished. After a couple of
restarts, I get the error as soon as I tell the dock to connect. It's as
though the error steals a bit more memory each time it happens.

> 2. I am encountering the same problem on my upgraded eMate, which has
4MB of RAM. So, it's not clear to me that a simple lack of RAM is the
problem.