[NTLK] Google Handwriting (Terence Griffin)

Terence Griffin griffin at nist.gov
Tue Apr 21 15:31:00 EDT 2015

PS, it actually says EXCEPT passwords. But yeah to the
other stuff. It's true of all keyboards. The pre-installed
keyboard is always active, so you can not uncheck it.
The warning only comes when you click the check box.

I'm pretty sure ALL keyboards have the potential to
collect input. It's basically a key logger! It watches as
you interact with the keyboard on screen, decides what
letter you want and sends it to the input field. That's
true even of Newton input methods. Some features,
like next-word-prediction, alternate words, and Swyping
may "require" a server to process. Even if it's doing that
locally, it will still to save and analyze your activities. The
nature of the beast.