[NTLK] Japanese on an eMate 300

Streams streams at fastmail.fm
Sun Feb 22 00:45:56 EST 2015

> I had a version of the Enfour kit but it only ran on NOS 2.0.
Ah, darn. Still, it might come in handy one day, so I wouldn't mind if
you sent me a copy. Do you remember how you came upon it? Perhaps I can
find/purchase the 2.1 version in the same way.

> [...] the free suite of Tapbar apps by T Murai or Basuke, I forget
> which.

> [...] Tapbar. I thought it was called "henkan tapbar", but a google
> search
> for those terms turned up nothing.
Armed with that information, I spent a few hours scavenging the WWW for
anything related to that, and managed to find something. Apparently,
Yosuke "Basuke" Suzuki wrote TapBar itself:
https://web.archive.org/web/20080509190951/http://saryo.org/basuke/tapbar/index.html

Then, it seems that Tomoyoshi Murai wrote some plug-ins for TapBar:
https://web.archive.org/web/19990428144431/http://www.orient.co.jp/%7Etmurai/freeware/newton/newton.html

Unfortunately, it seems that The Internet Archive wasn't able to archive
the page with the plug-ins (although it's amazing they even have so much
archived to begin with!)

Despite that, I continued browsing his site and managed to come upon the
aforementioned 'Henkan TapBar'!

https://web.archive.org/web/19980625064352/http://www.orient.co.jp/~tmurai/freeware/newton/nJIM/henkantapbar.html

Unfortunately, the download link there also doesn't work. :(

Reading up on his page detailing how to enter text with the Henkan
TapBar modules though, the method it uses to convert the romaji to
kana/kanji is too slow in my opinion. Having to select all the text you
want converted to kana/kanji first, as opposed to it being converted
automatically as you type, as is normally the case, leaves much to be
desired. So I continued searching the Web for an alternative, and found
the typical setup Japanese users of the Newton line used to enter and
read Japanese text:

http://www.afrocafe.net/2007/11/how-to-type-japanese.html

The setup consists of:
- NLK (only its font, ignoring the rest of the software since
apparently, it slows down the Newton/eMate quite a bit, as detailed by
You Taniguchi in this document:
http://www.remus.dti.ne.jp/~sugiyama/taniguchi/taniguchi_nlk.txt
(note: if your browser's default text encoding is not set to Shift JIS,
you will have to change the text encoding manually [Safari: View -> Text
Encoding, Firefox: View -> Character Encoding, etc.] in order to be able
to read the text properly since the server hosting the site is not
specifying a character encoding in its Content-Type response header
(which it should!), leaving the browser to guess at what the encoding
could be.))

- Gothic Everywhere!
http://web.archive.org/web/20080517144455/http://www.saryo.org/basuke/gew.html

- Heaven or Hell
http://web.archive.org/web/20080509061024/http://saryo.org/basuke/heaven-or-hell/index.html
(to suppress -10061 errors)

- HeapMagic (can't seem to find)

- UniFEP Pro
http://www.enfour.co.jp/newton/software/unifep_p/index.html
(which I just saw here:
http://buyee.jp/item/yahoo/auction/192245461
...can't believe I missed out on this!)

Anyway, that's how far I managed to get; let me know if you have any
suggestions!

> I can check after work if I still
> have the software if you need.
Yes please! I'd appreciate anything you have!