[NTLK] Loop trought serial connection?

Morgan Aldridge morgant at makkintosshu.com
Fri Jan 16 12:33:25 EST 2015

On Fri, Jan 16, 2015 at 8:34 AM, Sébastien Baedis <maci2012 at icloud.com> wrote:

> I have an Newton MessagePad 2000 with the SER-001 Board and an eMate.
> Throught the USB Board, I'm able to instal packages on the MessagePad. Despite not having a flash card, my only way at the moment to transfer packages to the eMate is to beam them over the MessagePad.
> But: is there a way ( a programm maybe?) to loop trought the conncection of the SER-001 to the Interconnect Port of the MessagePad? So that I could conncet the eMate with the MessagePad (cables are here) and my MacBook (NCX) would see the eMate?

I'm not sure how likely this is to work, but there is a package called
ModemBridge, available on UNNA.org:

    <http://www.unna.org/view.php?/utilites/ModemBridge1.8>

>From the original website (preserved by the Internet Archive at
<http://web.archive.org/web/19961221181158/http://www.voicenet.com/~cimino/HTML/ModemBridge.html>)
states:

    "What is ModemBridge? In networking terms, a bridge is a device
that links two networks, it doesn't do any routing, simply provides an
interface. ModemBridge is the interface between any computer attached
to the Newton's serial port, and a PCMCIA modem card (or IR port). In
practical terms, this means you can buy one modem, a PCMCIA card for
your Newton, and use it with all your computers, desktop, laptop or
Newton."

(Thanks to Clay Irving's Newton Reference
<http://www.panix.com/~clay/newton/query.cgi?communications+comm_hardware>
for preserving the link to the original site).

> (Sorry for my bad English, I'm from Luxembourg and new here )

No worries and welcome!

--
Morgan
---