[NTLK] Compiling Newton Apps on OSX

Jake Bordens jake at allaboutjake.com
Sat Jan 31 08:10:12 EST 2015

We already have Matthias' great 'mosrun' for running MPW tools on OS X.
Recently, I read about another tool, called 'mpw' that does the same thing
for the Mac classic toolchain.

http://blog.steventroughtonsmith.com/post/109040361205/mpw-carbon-and-build
ing-classic-mac-os-apps-in-os

(Funny, both tools were developed at around the same time, and Matthias'
actually posted in the comments on Github about the similarity of the tool
in 2013)

https://github.com/ksherlock/mpw

Anyway, as an academic exercise, I wanted to see if ksherlock's tool could
be made to compile code for the Newton.  Short answer is yes.  But it
needed a small change to make sure certain files are flagged as binary.
This was accepted as a pull request, so now .ntkc and .sym files will stay
binary and not have line ending characters modified.

I like that the mpw tool has an Environment file where you can centrally
configure paths to libraries and header files.  I like that mosrun
provides afiner-grain control of file type conversions and such.

So if you are doing both Mac Classic and Newton development, then mpw
might be something you want to look into.  Otherwise mosrun works just
fine for most things Newton.