[NTLK] ROM Disassembly online?

Jake Bordens jake at allaboutjake.com
Fri May 29 06:38:38 EDT 2015

Very nice!

One thing I wanted to mention.  I think I remember Matthias saying his disassembler can detect Binary NewtonScript Code (and Binary Objects?)

I think it would be really slick if we could pass those through Newt/0 and make them human readable.  (Only problem is then the App becomes 32-bit only, as Newt/0 doesn't run 64-bit)

Also wanted to mention this interesting project, in case you haven't seen it.

	https://github.com/pablomarx/ROM-Soup

Last I checked, ROM Soup only worked on 1.0 ROMs but I could be wrong.

Pablomarx has an interesting approach to decompiling the NewtonScript.  He basically "installs" ViewFrame and the ViewFrame decompiler into a Newt/0 VM and then executes the ViewFrame functions to decompile the binary representation.  Pretty cool.

I know Steven is trying to solve more immediate problems here, so this is just pie-in-the-sky type stuff.  But it might be possible to someday have a ROM viewer that interprets most of the ROM into more readable format.