[NTLK] Internal WiFi Project

Matthias Melcher mm at matthiasm.com
Thu Apr 14 18:41:21 EDT 2016

Status report:

I received all the parts and breadboard PCBs. I managed to program the CPLD and I have to say: why didn't I start with those much sooner? They are just fantastic, and it's possible to fix even some layout errors later in software.

I did hit a partial road block today though. My testing MP has ROM version 717145 which does not seem to have any way to activate the internal connector or serial port 3. Even setting "Modem" for the docking protocol seems to connect to serial port 1 on the external connector.

This is unfortunate because it keeps us from solving the hen-and-egg problem by just plugging in the wifi board. ROM 717006 offers Prefs->Modem->Connect_Using->Internal_Modem, which is the easy way to solve this.

Keeping the scope running.

 - Matthias

> On Apr 8, 2016, at 2:16 PM, Jake Bordens wrote:
>
>> So the obvious thing that I found was adding a microSD permanently inside the MP.
>
> Very cool idea.
>
>> Instead of dedicated logic chips, I wand to try a CPLD programmable logic (great chance to learn how they work). That way, we can hook all signals from the Newton connector to any pin on the ESP module and create even more exotic implementation, for example the ESP pretending to be a keyboard, or even generating sound via the Newton speaker.
>
> Also cool.  If you're doing this, maybe we can figure out how the timing works on the external clocked serial (Baud=0) and get the full 2megabit speed.  My eyes glaze over whenever I start looking at those timing diagrams.

Oh, *that* would be awesome.

> I do wish the ESP had BLE capability because then we could do HID devices.  Maybe we could find a BLE module to squeeze on there too?  And the kitchen sink?

Double kitchen sink with gastro faucet.

> The other idea I mentioned on a list a while back was a clock generator (similar to the old implant) that could be software controllable.  The trick is switching clock frequencies in a "glitch-less" way such that the system doesn't crash.  Also, you'd need some sort of UART to handle the fact that the newton talks in non-standard baud rates when overclocked.  Probably starting to get a little ridiculous.

That would require additional wiring and soldering, and puts it beyound the capabilities of most users.