[NTLK] Bootstrapping

Jon Glass jonglass at usa.net
Sat Aug 27 12:28:05 EDT 2016

On Sat, Aug 27, 2016 at 6:05 PM Gene Beaird <bgbeaird at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> I thought a MP2K would boot without a memory card installed.  Isn't the OS
> installed on the ROM built in to the device?

The simplified explanation is this. How does one connect to modern
computers so one can install software necessary to connect to modern
computers. Hence the "bootstrap" problem. The Flash cards have the software
installed already on them, so you borrow the card, install the software
from the card, and now you can connect to your new computer and to the
internet. Problem solved. It's not about booting the Newton, but about the
catch-22 problem of connecting to modern computers. HTH