[NTLK] Intro mail and WTB nice MP2000/2100 (no accessories needed) and Homebrew MP2100 upgrades

"Piotrowski Paweł (Newton)" newton at indigi.co.uk
Tue Dec 6 13:17:17 EST 2016

On 6 Dec 2016, at 04:29, Ian Finder <ian.finder at gmail.com> wrote:

> I went thru my boxes, found an Orinoco card and the serial dongle, and
> installed the ATA driver and 2K patches. I set up an 802.11b AP and have
> WiFi working. I have it backing up to my Quadra 950- a Symbolics MacIvory
> host I run often.

Hi Ian!

If you want try do something really cool with your Newton, try install NPDS (http://npds.free.fr). It is a simple web server working on Newton ;)

If you want see, how it works, you can check it on my (or other people) NPDS Tracker: http://tracker.applenewton.co.uk:3680

It is really cool stuff ;)

> I also found these instructions.
> https://web.archive.org/web/20010602033135/http://user.chollian.net/~cehz/frame2.htm
>
> It appears one can upgrade the 2000 to a 2100 by simply changing out the
> DRAM chips, so I may try this and report back here. I'm pretty reasonable
> with soldering, so if anyone needs this done, I'll consider doing it as a
> courtesy if it works out.

If you find proper DRAM chips, please give me info about it. I have access to SMT stuff, so I can easily solder new chips. But I see that instruction is without any pictures, and info about DRAM chips is very poor.

> I've ordered a replacement backlight from http://www.backlight4you.com/ "just
> in case" and should I ever need to install it will report back.

Thanks for this link! I will finally repair two of my 2100s with broken (or very dark) backlights.

Best regards,
Pawel Piotrowski

NPDS Server: http://newton1.applenewton.co.uk (powered by Newton 2100)
NPDS Tracker Server: http://tracker.applenewton.co.uk:3680 (powered by Raspberry Pi)