[NTLK] E-Mail addresses in NewtonTalk

"Piotrowski Paweł (Newton)" newton at indigi.co.uk
Tue Feb 23 17:31:45 EST 2016

On 23 Feb 2016, at 22:16, NewtonTalk <newtontalk at pda-soft.de> wrote:

>> Hi Frank!
>>
>> I understand it was for me. I so sorry.
>
> Don't worry. You are not the first, and you're unlikely to be the last :-)
>
> You wouldn't believe how many people send the link to the newest hilarious
> Youtube video to everyone they happen to have in their address book, instead
> of sending it to themselves and putting the others on BCC. That way, all of
> a sudden your mail address is in the hands of a couple of hundreds of
> people, who won't hesitate to forward it to all people in THEIR address
> book. With an estimated world population of about eight billions, it would,
> at least theoretically, require but six rounds of forwarding until every
> human being on this planet has my E-Mail address. Frightening, somehow :-)
>
> The good news is that humans are still way more intelligent than search
> robots. If you were to write something like "Franks E-Mail address is
> new12ton34sup56port78 at pda90-soft.de (remove all digits), chances are slim
> that anybody could figure out the real address from what the search robot
> provides him with.

Frank, I know how it works, but I was convinced it doesn’t matter, because archives with our messages are public, and our addresses are public too. Just look at this: http://lists.newtontalk.net/pipermail/newtontalk/2016-February/013265.html

It doesn’t matter that your address don’t have “@“. Robots can “analyse” this “xxx_at_something.something” without any problem and convert it to proper form ;)

But still I promise not using email addresses at all :D

Best regards,
Pawel Piotrowski

NPDS Server: http://applenewton.co.uk (powered by Newton 2100)
NPDS Tracker Server: http://tracker.applenewton.co.uk:3680 (powered by Raspberry Pi)