[NTLK] NPDS 2.1x Question

Sylvain Pilet pilets at mac.com
Thu Feb 25 21:32:37 EST 2016

Hi Morgan, and all,

Well, thank you for your answers,
I did not understand, I thought that these commands were accessible from NPDS.

Indeed the log file = big problem, according to the frequency of visits WebSite hosted by NPDS, the file can quickly become large. On my first NPDS, this file already reaches several times over 400k or more.

In my dreams this is what I like:
- A function in nHTTPd would send each day (at 2am by example) a mail (to address sets) with the logs of the last 24 hours. Then this script deletes the logs after, so the file is always light.
It takes a lot of work in the code, since we integrated the email shipment management. Especially if the user has not installed and configured MailV (or another mail app).

Otherwise currently I "play" with NPDS sources, I try to understand how all the codes work (but my programmer level is very far from that of Paul G.) Fortunately for me, Paul commented the code in French, this is it nice for me! ;-)

I used the my Template project for Greg aka "Doctor Clu" (OASIS NPDS <http://99.88.169.88:8080>) to test my changes in NPDS on my local Newton/NPDS (see at: <http://message-pad.no-ip.org:2101>).

I have some small problems to solve…
I "broken" the management of Newton/Browsers (NetHopper, NewtsCape ...) who receive some HTML/CSS lines that I do not wish that they receive (for example, it blocks NewtsCape in some cases). I would have included a condition with […(not: UsingNewtonBrowser (theRequest))…] to solve this…

All this takes time, especially when one dives into the code made by others.
Fortunately (again) the code is very well documented, thank you also to those who worked on it in the past.
Anyway, I try to change NPDS, and I have dozens of ideas… ;-)

Best regards

Sylvain Pilet

- A P P L E  N E W T O N  N P D S -
- Apple Newton NPDS Server: http://message-pad.no-ip.org